Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Things I Learned While on Vacation

1. Never ever take a cruise in the dead of winter. My luck is such that an unusual cold snap will take over most of the country and our counterparts to the South. This makes for cold road trips, cold ocean water, and choppy water conditions.

Also, I am apparently prone to sea-sickness when on a boat that rocks back and forth like me on a drunken binge.


Note the jackets on and red tipped noses. We may be on a boat but we're freezing our asses off.


2. There's always a reason why something is just a tad too cheap. I swear to the sweet baby Jesus himself being on that ship was like being in a floating Walmart for five days. Babies screaming, kids running, horribly ugly women walking around in their housecoats and slippers. It was like all the trailer parks in Texas got together on one ship to ravage the all-you-can-gorge buffet and take part in the embarrassing karaoke version of "My Humps". The food on the ship was incredibly "meh" and it was more about quantity rather than quality. Then again after seeing how some of my fellow cruisers were wolfing down the food like it was their last day on earth I wouldn't be surprised if there was an emergency case of Wolf Brand chili and hotdogs somewhere hidden just in case we ran out of food and the hungry hillbilly natives got restless.


Thomas enjoying one of the more finer foods on board the ship - soft serve ice cream FTW!


3. After a full and sickening day at sea getting off the ship and getting drunk with strangers is glorious. Also, duty free shopping is one of my new favorite past-times. Buying Mexican Camel Lights for $15.00 a carton made me shed a tear of happiness.

P1110884
At this particular beach break the Coronas were "all-you-can-drink", so I did.


4. We may be a bunch of white people but we can sure as shit shake a tail feather when we're three sheets to the wind.



P1110906

P1110947






5. Towel creatures are fucking creepy.

P1090748









6. Cruise booze is expensive. A bucket of four beers will cost you a whopping $22.00. $22.00! For FOUR BEERS! A MaiTai will run you about $8.75 and a double Jack and Coke will require you to give up your first born. However, taking photos of yourself with those little umbrellas behind your ears is priceless and extremely hilarious, when you're drunk.










7. After spending hundreds upon hundreds of dollars in booze on the ship when they offer you free drinks for an hour TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT.



P1131260




8. I am the motherfucking QUEEN of the self-portrait.












9. The more the merrier. I love my husband, I love my in-laws, and I love my friends. This vacation was just what the doctor ordered for all of us. Were there some rough times on the trip? Sure, if you count the sea sickness and the horrible food and the cold and the cabin fever. But in the end we all made each other laugh. We all had a fabulous time. In fact, we were having such a fabulous time that we ended up adopting more people into our group who saw how much fun WE were having and just had to join us. What can I say? We're likable people.














10. No matter what, sunny beach breaks with unlimited drinks makes everything a-okay in my book.










11. Turning 29 isn't so bad when you get to spend it with the ones that you heart the most. A pot of melted chocolate REALLY helps as well and then maybe a beer or 20.










3 comments:

Vic said...

Creepy?
I actually wrote "Queremos los animales de toallas" on a note and left a tip for those, when I was in Mexico.
Love the picture of you and Thomas under sec 11.

Scottsdale Whore said...

why does Timothy have a purse?

Mo said...

Vic: The stingray was cute but the rest of them just creeped me out for some reason. Also, the way they propped up the shoes under the bed in one of the photos gave me the willies.

SW: Cause it went with his outfit? Heh.