Friday, October 17, 2008

The Recap

Alright, so the trip to Missouri...

I was excited to see my family again. I really was. After almost a year and a half it was time to get back there before they disowned my ass. Of course at the same time I was dreading it. I feel so very distant from them most of the time. We all have very little in common and I'm just not like them anymore. I can't quite put my finger on it. I won't even try to psychoanalyze them as it's not only an insult to them but frankly, it boggles the mind how crazy one family can truly be. In the end though, they mean well.

There was little awkwardness when Thomas first met them. They accepted him almost immediately. He had one major plus going for him - he wasn't Mike. He could never be Mike. He will never be Mike. That automatically made them love him.

Then, my mother came over. Dun dun DUNNNNNNNN


Mom and Casey the bird

That's her up there with her bird that she takes everywhere on her shoulder like she was a damn pirate or something.

My mother is first and foremost L-O-U-D. She is unapologetic, crude, and in some cases would rather you hate her than for her to be any different around you just so it won't offend your delicate sensibilities. You either love her, hate her, or want to throw her off a tall building just to get her to shut the fuck up for 5 minutes. And that woman has the hots for my boyfriend...let us just leave that one alone for now, shall we?

We all sat around and told jokes that made us laugh so hard that our stomachs hurt. We ate like Kings, thanks to my grandmother's cooking, and I took Thomas to the town I grew up in. I took him to one of my favorite restaurants and we ate chips and queso and drank huge beers and made fun of my sister and her friend who sat across from us.

Mmmmm...beer

I wasn't overly sure what I wanted to accomplish with this trip. Seeing my family and introducing them to Thomas was first and foremost of course but maybe it was to show them that after all that has happened this year that I am fine. I am more than fine. I am happy. For the first time in such a very very long time I am happy. With myself, with my life, with my relationship...I am happy. I know they were worried about me and wondered who exactly this new person in my life was but they see now and they understand. It will take some time for them to love him as much as I do, but it's coming and it feels good to know that they genuinely like him. I can say, without any doubt, that the trip was a success.

I started this post last Friday and I'm just now finishing it up. Being home sick from work has it's advantages ya know. Excuse me now for I have three puppies who are all curled up asleep on my bed and would love to have their mama join them for a nap.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, those are some big ass beers!

I am glad you had a good time on your trip home, and I don't even want to think about your mom, the bird, T, and T's bird. It's just all too much!

Miss you!

Unknown said...

Do they call that size of beer a "schooner" where you were? That's what they get called here..

Good to hear the visit home was a success. Naturally, I was expecting a much more acrimonious tale, but it is better that it didn't end up that way. :)

Jessica Mclain said...

Glad everything went well, miss chatting with yah! I am glad your life is busy and happy and you have puppy and man love again. Take care babes. Feel better!

Anonymous said...

glad it went well hun!

Anonymous said...

Acrimonious is entirely TOO LARGE of a word for this blog...knock it off.