Thursday, October 2, 2008

For The Last Time

We met at Starbucks. Both ordered our usuals and sat down to have a smoke before going our separate ways. I handed him the final paperwork, the last thing I needed to sign and notarize. He thanked me again for going about it this way, instead of involving a lawyer.

We chatted about our jobs and what's been going on in our lives. He asked about Delighla and my friends. I asked about his parents and his brother. It was small talk. The last of the small talk. We both knew that we would probably never see each other like this again.

When it was time to go we shook hands like old business partners. He told me to take care of myself and I told him the same. We turned around and left in opposite directions.

I walked to the car with the sun beating down, a cup of Starbucks in my hand, and a smile on my face. Freedom from my past is getting close now, so very close.

November 28th is the day.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

onward and upward!

Mo said...

I couldn't agree more, Loren.

Jessica Mclain said...

That was so sad. But at least you are happy and broke it off peace-ably. I am happy and proud of you. With the new man, I know you are so very happy. Congrats woman, you are awesome.

luckysevn said...

Something tells me you will be very, very, VERY hungover the morning of November 29th. ;-)
Awesome.

S said...

You sound OK about this, and I'm glad.

BTW, odd coincidence: I'm getting married on November 28th. Hmmmm.

Anonymous said...

I have said this before-- but I want to say it again. I am so proud of how you handled this whole mess. You kept your feet on the ground, and a smile on your face. You were as civil and kind and level headed no one has ever been. You rock!

Anonymous said...

That was a bit sad to read, but good for you! ;-) woot woot! I feel November 28th is going to be a good drinkin and celebratin day!