Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Planning Stages

I have to admit, I'm really good at a number of things (finances, insurance, drinking beer, sarcasm, things that I can't say on this blog because come on, let's keep this at least PG-13) but when it comes to planning? Not so much. I get bogged down in the details and seem to lose sight of the end goal, whatever that may be. I freak out over the small things that I have control over and freak out even more when it seems that I have no control over anything.

When Thomas and I met we had both decided that at some point we would definitely want to get married again. Having not been completely and utterly emotionally damaged by our former spouses and knowing that we could do it better, SO much better, together it was worth the leap. I remember the day he asked me if we were to get married what kind of wedding would I want. I looked at him and said, "I don't do weddings". Which is true, in a sense. Due to the circumstances surrounding my first wedding (basically meaning my family and friends hated his guts and would never have come in the first place) we made an appointment at the local J.P. and got married on a Saturday afternoon. My marriage license was signed by two witnesses I had never met before in my life. We proceeded to go out to lunch and then he went to work that evening. How romantic! Good times, yessiree. However, I knew it wouldn't be like that this time around. I warmed up to the idea that a real and true wedding could actually be fun, as long as we did it the way WE wanted it.

So far this wedding has remained mostly non-traditional. I will not be wearing a white floor-length wedding gown, we won't be sending out invitations with bows and tissue paper, my mom actually saw a picture of the dress I wanted and deemed it "slutty", and we won't be married in a church. We're getting married in Las Vegas. Our "invitation" was sent via Gmail and told people to come, get drunk, watch us get married, and then maybe we'll hit a strip club. I'm still amazed, and grateful, for the number of people who didn't just say, "Yea, sure. We'll be there." But instead said, "Are you kidding?! We wouldn't miss this for the WORLD!" God I love our friends.

In another way that this has become the completely un-traditional wedding is that I have been pretty hands off on the planning. I did not check with the travel agent about prices, not just for our flight and hotel but for other flights and hotels for our guests, I did not book the wedding chapel and limo service. Hell, I didn't even write the email out inviting everyone. I have picked out my ring, looked for wedding dresses, agreed to specific hotel rooms, chapel packages, and dinner reservations. When it comes to planning this thing Thomas has been top notch and I couldn't be more grateful. He has taken some of the biggest stresses off of me and I absolutely love him for it.

September will be here before we know it, and even though there are plenty of stages completed I still have a lot of my own work to do before I walk down that aisle. I'll freely admit that most of my stress is self-induced. With work being in the "busy season" and knowing that I am not physically ready to fit into my "slutty" wedding dress I've been a little hard on myself lately. There's a lot I want to get accomplished and I know I have the ability to do it but even if I don't I know that at the heart of it all I am going to marry the man that I love. I am going to be the happiest girl in Vegas on September 26th. No matter what.

6 comments:

S said...

I love fall weddings. Though September 26 in Las Vegas will probably feel more like summer, actually.

Congratulations!

ScottsdaleWhore said...

Vegas is still roasting ass satan's taint hot in September but the nights are cool...:)

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Vegas Baby!

Mo said...

S: Thank you! We're super stoked!

SW: Hey now, according to Vegas.com the average temps in late September are between 95 - 82 degrees during the day and 66 - 54 degrees at night. That's not that bad!

Unknown said...

Yes, you'll be the happiest girl on 9/26... in Vegas and around the world, I think! And we will all be ecstatic watching you guys :D
Finally, let me just say "Damn, can't wait to see you in the 'slutty' dress!!!!!"

Slick said...

Um yeah...Vegas.Com - PR much? Doesn't matter we will be INSIDE drinking or IN a Pool so no worries

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you! and I can't WAIT to see the slutty dress and all the pictures the week after! My heart pitter padders for you!