Friday, August 29, 2008

An Open Letter


Dear baby sister,

This weekend you will turn 18 years-old. I can't believe it. I just really can't.

I remember the day you were born, when I held you and cried because I was just so happy you were here. I remember the nights when you would cry, not for our mother, for me. "SISSSSSSSSY!!!", you'd scream at the top of your lungs while sitting in your crib - knowing that I would come and rescue you because I was such a sucker. You would curl up next to me in my bed and fall right to sleep. Your hair damp from sweat and your cheeks flushed from crying. I was always able to calm you down.

You have been through so much these last few years but you take it all in stride. You've learned how not to live and how to laugh at yourself. I wish I could've been there more. To protect you, to shield you from some of the bad stuff, but I couldn't and I still can't. You've shown me how strong you are by your actions and your words. I am simply amazed sometimes.

This weekend you will officially become an adult. A woman. Grown. I have never been more proud of you than I am right now. You're making big decisions that will affect you the rest of your life, but never arrogant enough to do them without asking me my opinion. While I may not agree with every decision you've made or the decisions you will make in the future I will always be by your side to support you.

You are beautiful, innocent, funny, and witty. You are my pride and joy. No matter how grown you get you will always be that little toddler curled up next to me in my bed. Happy birthday, kiddo. I love you more than words can express.

- Sissy

2 comments:

Jessica Mclain said...

Oh, that was so sweet. Made me kinda tear up.

Anonymous said...

so sweet...